What is the CPT code for Hemicraniectomy?
CPT®: A hemicraniectomy was performed, in addition to a duraplasty. In the CPT index, locate Craniectomy/Decompression, which refers to 61322–61323, 61340, 61343.
What is the CPT code for Suboccipital Craniectomy?
Variation in Coding Practices for Vestibular Schwannoma Surgery *
|Incorrectly Used Code||CPT Description|
|61345||Other cranial decompression, posterior fossa|
|61458||Craniectomy, suboccipital; for exploration or decompression of cranial nerves|
|61500||Craniectomy; with excision of tumor or other bone lesion of skull|
What is Transclival?
The endoscopic endonasal posterior extended (transclival) approach, as a minimally invasive procedure, allows for surgical removal of various tumors of the central region of the skull base involving the clivus, which, until recently, were considered difficult or impossible to access for surgical treatment.
How do you code a craniectomy?
The individual codes and their descriptions from this code range include:
- 61304, Craniectomy or craniotomy, exploratory; supratentorial.
- 61305, Craniectomy or craniotomy, exploratory; infratentorial (posterior fossa)
- 61312, Craniectomy or craniotomy for evacuation of hematoma, supratentorial; extradural or subdural.
What is a Hemicraniectomy?
Hemicraniectomy is a surgical procedure where a large flap of the skull is removed and the dura is opened; this gives space for the swollen brain to bulge and reduces the intracranial pressure.
Where is clivus?
A bone at the base of the skull, near the spine.
What are the five steps in the path to code a craniectomy?
Depending on the underlying problem being treated, the surgery can take 3 to 5 hours or longer.
- Step 1: prepare the patient.
- Step 2: make a skin incision.
- Step 3: perform a craniotomy, open the skull.
- Step 4: expose the brain.
- Step 5: correct the problem.
- Step 6: close the craniotomy.
What is the ICD 10 code for craniectomy?
Z48. 811 is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes. The 2022 edition of ICD-10-CM Z48. 811 became effective on October 1, 2021.