How do you teach phonics in a fun way?
14 Fun phonics activities for preschoolers
- Rainbow hop letter sounds game. This kinetic phonics game from Fun Learning for Kids transforms your living room into a life-sized board game.
- Alphabet ball.
- Alphabet phonics clip cards.
- Letter sounds race.
- Phonic photo scavenger hunt.
- Spin & rhyme.
- Erase the sound.
- Mystery bag.
How do you teach phonics to games?
Fun phonics games and activities
- Letter Races. This game requires a magnetic board, magnetic letters, and a lot of space!
- I Spy the Sound. ‘I Spy the Sound’ is a fun way to build phonics skills and phonemic awareness.
- Matching Rhymes.
- Phonics Hopscotch.
How do you teach long e vowel teams?
Teach the patterns explicitly e.g. ‘ai’/’ay’, ‘oi’/’oy’, ‘ei’/’ey’. If students are to use plastic or magnetic letters in vowel teamwork, be sure to buy those that have the digraph as one piece. Use sound (Elkonin) boxes and/or sound buttons to highlight the fact that a ‘team’ can represent a single vowel sound.
What are some phonics activities?
Top 12 Phonics Activities for Kids in 2021
- Play. Children learn through play, so try incorporating phonics activities at home that involve playing.
- Flip the Pancake.
- Play Dough Letters.
- Word Roller.
- Magazine/Newspaper Scavenger Hunt.
- Popsicle Stick Questions.
What is a phonics activity?
When teaching phonics, you are teaching students to build letter-sound correspondence. This helps them to sound out words and spell words when reading and writing. As they work with blend and digraph word activities, they’ll be able to add to the word families they know from their CVC word studies.
What are some phonemic awareness activities?
Fun And Easy Phonemic Awareness Activities
- Guess-That-Word. If you’d like to give this activity a go, lay out a few items or pictures in front of your child.
- Mystery Bag.
- Clapping It Out.
- Make Some Noise!
- I-Spy With Words.
- Rhyme Matching Game.
- Make Your Own Rhyme.
- Drawing A Phonetic Alphabet.
How do kindergarteners learn long vowels?
13 Awesome Ways To Teach Long Vowel Sounds
- Say three words with a long vowel sound. (
- Ask: What vowel sound do you hear?
- Write each of the words you said on the board—lake, pail, hay.
- Underline the long A digraph—lake, pail, hay.
- Explain that there are different ways to spell the long A sound.
How do you make the long e sound?
Common Ways to Spell the Long E Sound The combination of two e’s (double vowels) results in the long e sound. There are many EE words. The combination of both an “e” and “a” (double vowels) also results in this sound. Similar to the ee words, there are many EA words that make this sound.
What is a phonics lesson?
Phonics instruction teaches common letter-sound relationships, including sounds for common letter patterns, so that readers can apply them in decoding unfamiliar words.