What are the 12 parts of speech?
Commonly listed English parts of speech are noun, verb, adjective, adverb, pronoun, preposition, conjunction, interjection, numeral, article, or determiner.
What are some common figures of speech?
Some common figures of speech are alliteration, anaphora, antimetabole, antithesis, apostrophe, assonance, hyperbole, irony, metonymy, onomatopoeia, paradox, personification, pun, simile, synecdoche, and understatement.
What are the types of figures of speech?
Types of Figures of Speech
How do you identify figures of speech?
A figure of speech is a word or phrase that possesses a separate meaning from its literal definition. It can be a metaphor or simile, designed to make a comparison. It can be the repetition of alliteration or the exaggeration of hyperbole to provide a dramatic effect.
How do you teach parts of speech in English?
How to Teach Parts of Speech
- Are articles – a, an, and the.
- A noun’s the name of anything; As: School, garden, toy, or swing.
- An adjective tells the kind of noun –
- Instead of nouns the pronouns stand –
- Her head, his face, your arm, my hand.
- Verbs tell of something to be done,
- How things are done the adverbs tell,
- Conjunctions join words together,
What are 5 examples of alliteration?
Alliteration Examples and Worksheets
- Peter Piped Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers.
- Three grey geese in a field grazing. Grey were the geese and green was the grazing.
- Betty Botter bought some butter, but she said this butter’s bitter;
- I need not your needs, They’re needless to me,
What is an example of metaphor?
Examples of dead metaphors include: “raining cats and dogs,” “throw the baby out with the bathwater,” and “heart of gold.” With a good, living metaphor, you get that fun moment of thinking about what it would look like if Elvis were actually singing to a hound dog (for example).
What are the basic parts of a sentence?
The two most basic parts of a sentence are the subject and predicate. The subject of a sentence is the person, place, or thing that is performing the action of the sentence. The subject represents what or whom the sentence is about.
What is personification in a sentence?
Personification is a type of figurative language in which non-human things are described as having human attributes, as in the sentence, “The rain poured down on the wedding guests, indifferent to their plans.” Describing the rain as “indifferent” is an example of personification, because rain can’t be “indifferent,” …
How do you make alliteration?
How to Write an Alliteration
- Think of the subject you want to emphasize.
- Think of words that relate to the subject and begin with the same sound.
- Place those words closely together in a sentence.
What is personification and example?
Personification gives human traits and qualities, such as emotions, desires, sensations, gestures and speech, often by way of a metaphor. Personification is much used in visual arts. Examples in writing are “the leaves waved in the wind”, “the ocean heaved a sigh” or “the Sun smiled at us”.
What are the two types of alliteration?
Terms in this set (6)
- Plosive Alliteration. Repetition of ‘p’ and ‘b’ sounds.
- Sibilance. Repetition of ‘s’ sounds.
- Dental Alliteration. Repetition of ‘d’ and ‘t’ sounds.
- Guttural Alliteration. Repetition of’ ‘g’ , ‘r’ and ‘c’ sounds.
- Fricative Alliteration. Repetition of ‘f’ , ‘ph’ and ‘v’ sounds.
How do you avoid personification in writing?
When in doubt, avoid anthropomorphism by focusing on the author or writer as the subject of the sentence or by choosing a verb that the inanimate object can do, as shown in the examples above.
What are the basic rules of grammar?
11 Rules of Grammar
- Use Active Voice.
- Link Ideas with a Conjunction.
- Use a Comma to Connect Two Ideas As One.
- Use a Serial Comma in a List.
- Use the Semicolon to Join Two Ideas.
- Use the Simple Present Tense for Habitual Actions.
- Use the Present Progressive Tense for Current Action.
- Add “ed” to verbs for the Past Tense.
What are the 23 figures of speech?
23 Common Figures of Speech (Types and Examples)
- SIMILE. In simile two unlike things are explicitly compared.
- METAPHOR. It is an informal or implied simile in which words like, as, so are omitted.
- TRANSFERRED EPITHETS.
What is personification give 5 examples?
Common Personification Examples Lightning danced across the sky. The wind howled in the night. The car complained as the key was roughly turned in its ignition. Rita heard the last piece of pie calling her name.
What are the 9 parts of speech with examples?
The 9 Parts of Speech
- Noun. Nouns are a person, place, thing, or idea.
- Pronoun. Pronouns stand in for nouns in a sentence.
- Verb. Verbs are action words that tell what happens in a sentence.
- Adverb. Adverbs describe verbs, adjectives, and even other adverbs.
- Articles and Determiners.
How many types of figures of speech are there?
In European languages, figures of speech are generally classified in five major categories: (1) figures of resemblance or relationship (e.g., simile, metaphor, kenning, conceit, parallelism, personification, metonymy, synecdoche, and euphemism); (2) figures of emphasis or understatement (e.g., hyperbole, litotes.
What are parts of speech Explain with examples?
The parts of speech explain how a word is used in a sentence. There are eight main parts of speech (also known as word classes): nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions and interjections. Most parts of speech can be divided into sub-classes. For example with the word increase.
What you mean by personification?
1 : attribution of personal qualities especially : representation of a thing or abstraction as a person or by the human form. 2 : a divinity or imaginary being representing a thing or abstraction.
What are parts of speech PDF?
Eight Parts of Speech in English Grammar
|Part of Speech||Basic Function|
|Verbs||identifies an action or state of being|
|Adverbs||modifies a verb, adjective, or another adverb|
|Adjectives||modifies a noun|
|Prepositions||shows a relationship between a noun (or pronoun) and other words in a sentence|