What does Pure O OCD feel like?
People with pure OCD experience unwanted obsessive thoughts, impulses and urges. Here are some examples of common themes: Harm: Jennie is sharpening her pencil in a classroom when she suddenly has the thought, “This pencil is really sharp,” followed by an intrusive image of herself hurting a classmate with the pencil.
What is the cause of Pure O OCD?
OCD may have a genetic component, but specific genes have yet to be identified. Learning. Obsessive fears and compulsive behaviors can be learned from watching family members or gradually learned over time.
Is Pure O caused by trauma?
Many studies have solidified the link between OCD and childhood trauma. A theory proposed by psychologist Stanley Rachman suggests that people are more likely to experience obsessions when they are exposed to stressful situations. The theory also suggests that these thoughts are triggered by external cues.
Is Pure O curable?
Pure O sufferers are unlikely to be cured completely.
Can Pure O OCD go away?
What are the 5 types of OCD?
5 Common Types of OCD
- Organization. Possibly the most recognizable form of OCD, this type involves obsessions about things being in precisely the right place or symmetrical.
- Contamination. Contamination OCD revolves around two general ideas.
- Intrusive Thoughts.
What does Pure O look like?
Obsessions are recurrent, persistent, intrusive, and unwanted thoughts, images, or urges that cause anxiety or distress. Obsessions often center on somatic, sexual, religious, or aggressive thoughts as well as concerns with things such as symmetry and contamination.
How do you stop Pure O thoughts?
25 Tips for Succeeding in Your OCD Treatment
- Always expect the unexpected.
- Be willing to accept risk.
- Never seek reassurance from yourself or others.
- Always try hard to agree with all obsessive thoughts — never analyze, question, or argue with them.
- Don’t waste time trying to prevent or not think your thoughts.