Is it get ahold of or get hold of?
Ahold often appears as part of the phrase get ahold of. In British English and other non-U.S. dialects, this phrase is usually written as get a hold of or simply get hold of.
Did you get ahold or a hold?
“get a hold of” is the only proper form. I would prefer this in all circumstances since it is correct use of the language. “Ahold” is not a proper word. “ahold of” is a colloquialism, but the OED does not define “ahold” as a word out of context of the colloquialism.
Is Ahold grammatically correct?
A: Unlike “alot” which isn’t a word, “ahold” is a word recognized by Merriam-Webster, Garner’s Modern American Usage and most other writing authorities. For example: While it’s not easy to get ahold of playoff tickets, I know a guy who knows a guy who sold me two.
What does get ahold of mean?
: hold —usually used in phrases like get ahold of to mean “take hold of,” “get possession of,” “get in contact with,” etc. It took me a long time to learn that success is not such a fabulous goal. It’s like air—you can’t get ahold of it.—
How do you use Ahold in a sentence?
Ahold sentence example
- As I started to walk away, he grabbed ahold of my arm and wouldn’t let me go.
- This allowed the flames to take ahold , and the efforts of firemen soon became engaged in containing the fire’s spread.
How do I get ahold?
get ahold of (one)
- Literally, to grab and hold onto someone with one’s hands. The police officer got ahold of the suspect before he could run away.
- To successfully make contact and communicate with one.
- To gain total control, influence, or power over one.
- To capture one’s attention, interest, or imagination.
How do I get ahold of someone?
There are sevral ways to get a hold of someone when thier phone is off.
- Write a letter.
- visit the person and have a cup of tea or coffee.
- If they arent home, leave a note at thier door.
- Leave a voicemail.
- Send a text.
- Leave a private msg on a social media account.
Did you get a hold of her meaning?
“Did you get hold of her?” is unusual, but by analogy with “Did you get hold of it?”, it asks if you got into physical contact with her, grasped her with your hand(s) as if to prevent her from falling or from running into traffic, for example.
What means grab hold?
Definition of grab hold of : to quickly take and hold (someone or something) with the hand or arms She grabbed hold of his arm. He grabbed hold of a tree branch and pulled himself out of the water.
Can I get ahold?
1. Literally, to grab and hold onto someone with one’s hands. The police officer got ahold of the suspect before he could run away.
Can’t get a hold meaning?
Definition of get hold of 2 : to find and talk to (someone) : to contact (someone) I need to talk to my lawyer, but I haven’t been able to get hold of him. I’ve been trying to get a hold of my lawyer for days.