Can diminish be used as a verb?
It can mean to make something seem smaller or less significant, as in The senator tried to diminish his role in the scandal. The verb downplay is used in a similar way.
What are 5 synonyms diminish?
What is an example of diminish?
Diminish is defined as to make something seem smaller or less important. An example of diminish is to downplay the achievement of receiving a law degree from Harvard.
What type of word is diminish?
How does the verb diminish differ from other similar words? Some common synonyms of diminish are abate, decrease, dwindle, lessen, and reduce. While all these words mean “to grow or make less,” diminish emphasizes a perceptible loss and implies its subtraction from a total.
What is the noun of diminish?
diminishment. The act of diminishing; reducing in size, quantity, or quality.
What is the adjective of diminish?
Diminished is an adjective that means made or having become smaller, fewer, or less. Close synonyms are reduced, decreased, and lessened. A diminished interest is one that has lessened. Diminished quality means decreased quality.
How do you use the word diminish?
Diminish in a Sentence 🔉
- The medicine caused my headache to diminish.
- They didn’t want to diminish my work, but they had decided to publish another article in the paper.
- My bank account began to diminish when I made several large purchases.
- As the rain began to diminish, we headed out to the park.
Is diminish a transitive verb?
1[intransitive, transitive] diminish (something) to become or to make something become smaller, weaker, etc. 2[transitive] diminish somebody/something to make someone or something seem less important than they really are synonym belittle I don’t wish to diminish the importance of their contribution. …
Is diminished an adverb?
Diminished is an adjective that means made or having become smaller, fewer, or less. Close synonyms are reduced, decreased, and lessened.
How do you use the word diminish in a sentence?
How do you use determine in a sentence?
Determine sentence example
- She couldn’t determine if she’d won this round or not.
- She would determine which case had the best chance of success.
- Computers can determine when to plant seed and even what to plant.
- I can determine that.
- Lana looked up at the bridge, trying to determine which way it was to shore.
How do you use disinclined in a sentence?
Disinclined sentence example
- But demands for more lines were constantly arising, and the existing companies, in view of their financial position, were disinclined to undertake their construction.
- Though disinclined to work, the Cambodians make good hunters and woodsmen.